Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The First Steps to Self Discovery Part 2

My original post was this one and Part 1 together, but that is so super long. So I broke it up at a relatively good place to break.

Last year I was really quite dependent. I was uncomfortable driving, so whenever possible, I got other people to drive for me. I didn't like doing things alone, so I always had someone with me. I was dependent in other areas as well because I was insecure about driving and going places alone.

As I thought of things I could do to improve myself, I started trying to do things on my own. I made plans instead of always waiting for other people to make them. When I found a need to go somewhere I just went instead of waiting for someone to go with or to drive me. I continued making these small changes in my life even after Rex and I broke up. I didn't really tell anyone that I was aware of my dependency or that I was trying to overcome it, but I know that those closest to me noticed a difference in me even if they didn't know exactly what it was. I certainly noticed a difference in myself.

I was more confident and started doing things because I wanted to do them. I started owning up to my choices and my decisions. I started making decisions. I started doing things that took me out of my comfort zone. I had reasons for doing things; I had purpose to my life.

That fall semester I was taking a Doctrine and Covenants class. Reading the Doctrine and Covenants and learning about what the Lord wants from his saints was another critical influence on my road to independence. I learned that the Lord wants his people to be self reliant. I started thinking about what that means.

To me It means being more independent; obviously I'm still interdependent with Christ, but I can't be dependent on anyone else. I need to know things for myself. I need to be confident enough to do things for myself. I need to be spiritually self reliant. All of these things are important because the Lord requires his people to serve one another and to help each other. I realized that I can't do either if I am always so worried about myself. So I made changes.

Tune in next time to hear me say, That's too expensive!

No comments: