Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Relief of Society

As I mentioned in That's Too Expensive, I was a little jealous of my sisters and their sense of belonging.

Being a part of something became particularly important to me earlier this year because I was getting ready to graduate. I would no longer be a part of an institution. I would be all on my own with no ties to any group of people. This is when I realized just how important Relief Society is.

Relief Society represents to me a group of women in my area who are, for the most part, striving for the same things. We are all searching for truth. We have a similar background knowledge and testimony of Jesus Christ, and of the restored gospel, and of the Book of Mormon. Each of us has the desire to do good and to better ourselves in our own eyes and in the eyes of the Lord.

I came to realize this year just how important Relief Society (RS) is. I discovered the importance of visiting teaching and of getting to know the other women in my ward's RS. I am part of an organization that needs me and my skills and talents. I have made so many friends through RS.

Although I have some family nearby, The women in my RS are essential in my life, because they are around me every week, if not every day. I see them all the time. They represent a support group for me when I am struggling or when I am trying to progress. They are there to back me up and build me up. They help me to move forward and get back on my feet when I fall.

Through serving the women of my RS, I have learned more about myself than I ever imagined I could. I came to realize that I learn more about myself when I focus on other people and their needs. As a member of the church I have a responsibility to look after and care for the other members of the church.

Stay tuned for An Epiphany.

No comments: